Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sleep?

Finley awake and happy after a nap


Sleep and schedules have been consuming my first 3 weeks as a stay at home mom (or domestic goddess, as I like to call it). The first 4 weeks we were in the States, Finley did great! He magically started sleeping 6-7 hours straight at night. Something happened the last week while we were in the States (the week while Nate was gone to a conference), and Finley started waking up all the time. Then we came back to HK and the jet lag was awful for Finley.

The first week we were back, we just did whatever it took to even get Finley to sleep. We had to resort to using the swing and bouncy seat, but we did eventually get his days and nights back somewhat in order. Last week and this week, I've been trying really hard to get Finley on a somewhat consistent schedule with a solid pre-sleep routine. Apparently our baby doesn't love schedules.

In theory, Finley should be taking 3 naps a day at this age- a short one, long one, and another short one. Yesterday, however, Finley took four short naps, one of which I pretty much spent the whole time trying to get him stay asleep. Today he took a long nap, short, and another long one right now. Not to mention that he may wake up anytime at night between 12-4am and be awake for an hour or just a few minutes. Your guess is as good as mine. He gets up sometime in the morning between 6-8am. Who knows. So how am I supposed to get this baby on a schedule if he won't do it? I can't force him to sleep or eat when he is "supposed" to be. So, I guess I'll just keep encouraging the schedule and see if he eventually gets a little more consistent. I've been logging his schedule so I can at least see if there's any sort of pattern.

The good news is that I was reading on thebump.com that apparently many babies have sleep issues around 4 months because of major physical and emotional development that is going on. So, it's good to know it's not just Finley!