Tuesday, October 19, 2010

6 Month Stats

Hard to believe our little Finley is half a year old! Finley celebrated his half birthday last week by going to the doctor for another round of overpriced vaccinations. He took them like a champ, with very minimal crying. Thought I would share his 6 month stats...drum roll, please...28 inches long and 18 pounds! He has doubled in weight since he was born, which should happen somewhere between 4-6 months old from what I've read. According to the growth chart from our doctor here, he is just over 50% in weight and 75% in height, but according to the US growth chart I found online, he is 50% in weight and 90% in height for a 6-month-old boy. I have not yet encountered any baby under 10-12 months old who is taller than Finley, so I'm inclined to think he is more toward the 90% range!

In addition to trying lots of new solid foods recently (carrots, peas, pear, mango, avocado, banana, etc.), Finley has been working on sleep training. He puts himself to sleep for naps and nighttime! Finley usually needs to cry for a few minutes before going to sleep, but he was doing that even when we used to rock him to sleep. Must be something he needs to do to get out those last bits of energy. He is now a tummy sleeper about 99% of the time. We always put him down on his back, but he flips over almost immediately. Doctors recommend that you continue to put a baby down on his back for the first year, but they also say that once the baby rolls over on his own, there's not much you can do about it.

Another interesting tidbit- Finley has started taking a pacifier over the past couple of weeks. Quite odd that he suddenly likes them after not being at all interested for the first almost 6 months of his life. We never put Finley to bed with a pacifier, but they do come in quite handy when we're out and he gets fussy, or it's 6:15pm and he's tired and cranky, or he has to get a shot!

Sorry no photos today, but I am hoping to do a little 6 month photo shoot in the next few days, at which time I promise to put them online promptly for all of Finley's adoring fans (i.e. his grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts and uncles).