Sunday, June 8, 2014

Merry Christmas to Me!

Nate had an awesome idea for my Christmas present this year.  He gave me a photography session with a professional photographer who moved to HK this year and happens to be the husband of one of the LP teachers.  Not surprisingly, I just today finally got around to redeeming said photography session.  (Life is busy!)

It was so great!!  I learned all about how to operate my camera in manual-- balancing the ISO, aperture, and shutter speed to get the correct light exposure and achieve the movement and depth I want.  I have a lot of practicing to do, but here are a couple of fun ones I took today.

Aperture and Depth of Field
The flowers aren't terribly exciting, but it's just fun to play with blurring and focus

Peeking through the door to Finley's room

Working with Lighting/Exposure
This one is over-exposed a bit to get more of an angelic look

Just the right amount of shadow on my photography teacher's face

Plenty of exposure despite being in a dark room

Composition and the Rule of Thirds
(unfortunately a super hazy day, though)

Here's hoping this class jump starts me toward improved photography skills!  It's a gift that will keep on giving as I take photos of family and travel in the coming years.