Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Races

A couple of weeks ago, Nate and I were invited to go to the horse races in Sha Tin. The couple who owns the bus company our school uses also owns a couple of race horses, so they invited us to join them. It was an all day affair, from 12-6pm on Sunday not including getting there and home. It was definitely an interesting cultural experience, very different than how I'm guessing the Kentucky Derby is. Everyone (except us) was dressed in black, oddly enough.
We sat in the owner's box most of the time, munching on yummy food and watching races. Before their horse's race, however, we went down into the owner's ring, where the owners, jockeys, and trainers schmooze while the horses are paraded around. That was pretty cool. Unfortunately, their horse (Sunny King, #11) didn't win...or even place.
It was unreal how much money was being bet on the races. Nate and I, on the other hand, stuck to bets of about $10HK, which is $1.25 in USD. We're high rollers.