Monday, April 20, 2009

Italy Part 1: Venice

Over Easter break (you can say "Easter" here because it's a private school), Nate and I went on what I consider our second honeymoon- a trip to Italy! I took probably 200 photos, but have deleted some so that now I'm at about 150. We obviously won't be able to put every single photo on the blog, but we'll put as many as possible. This blog post is going to be about our first stop, Venice. Stay tuned for more about Florence and Rome. (The Rome photos are definitely the best!) We welcome, and thoroughly enjoy, reading your comments on the blog, so leave us notes after you read!

Venice, as you may know, is built on the water. There are are about 400 bridges, like the one above, connecting the town. All of the bridges are stairs, not ramps. If I had thought about this, I would have packed everything in a backpack, not a large suitcase that had to be lugged up the stairs. Oh well, I'll know for next time! :)


It's all about the boats in Venice, even for fresh produce!


Venice is the home of pizza, and we had some really good pizza there! Actually, our pizza wasn't from the place above, but this made a better photo.


The famous Rialto Bridge. It's so large there are stores all over it.

Classic photo of the canal from the Rialto Bridge.


St. Mark's Basilica in the busy (and pigeon-ridden) St. Mark's Square. As you can see, parts of it were under renovation. Most historic buildings we went it seemed to be partially under renovation. I'm pretty sure that they're constantly renovating once a building gets past, say, 400 years old or so.


The top of the church. Click on the photo to enlarge it and check out the detail. The inside was beautiful, but we weren't allowed to take photos.


One of the paintings on the outside of the building.


That white building was definitely leaning- it's not the camera angle!


Me on the Rialto