Tuesday, May 12, 2009

More of Rome

Since we went to Rome over Easter weekend, we had the opportunity to attend the Stations of the Cross at the Colosseum on Friday night to see the Pope.

It was insanely crowded, so we didn't get extremely close to the Pope. This photo was the best we could do. It was dark, so the lens on the camera had to stay open a long time to get the photo- it's a bit blurry because I couldn't hold it perfectly still that long.

There was quite a crowd there to see the Pope.


This was at a market we went to. Click on the photo to enlarge and check out the suction cups on that squid!

(It was artichoke season.)

We really enjoyed seeing Ancient Rome. It's amazing to see anything that's up to 3000 years old. Unfortunately, our tour guide was speaking a mile a minute, so I can't remember a lot of what she said.

This is the main gate into Ancient Rome. It is where emperors marched the slaves they captured in war.



The Colosseum in the daytime.


Inside the Colosseum.


The Trevi Fountain- the photo definitely doesn't do it justice. As tradition states, we threw coins in over our shoulders so we can be guaranteed another trip to Rome.

Well, that's it. Italy in a nutshell (or, rather, in 4 blog posts). It was definitely my favorite trip I've taken so far, and there's so much I haven't even seen....yet!