Thursday, May 14, 2009

Quick Trip to Singapore

Nate had to go to Singapore a couple of weeks ago for a conference.  I had Friday off from school, so I decided to join him for a long weekend (since the hotel was already paid for by the school!).  Singapore was H-O-T!  From what I hear, there aren't seasons.  It's just hot.  
It was definitely fun to get away for the weekend and see somewhere new.  We had heard it has the nickname of "Asia Light."  I have to agree, after visiting.  Singapore seems to have been heavily influenced by western culture, much more so than Hong Kong.  They even have the Gap there... actually, a few of them!  
We had some great food while we were in Singapore.  We had to try the famed chili crab.  It was about the messiest food I've ever eaten.  They bring out a pretty large crab covered and surrounded by chili sauce, and you just have to go for it.  I was practically up to my elbows in chili crab.  They have a bunch of sinks in the restaurant so you can wash off all of the chili crab when you're finished, because it's much more than you can remove with a napkin or two.


Singapore has great plants and trees.  Very jungle-ish (well, if you ignore all of the buildings and streets).


The next few photos are from the orchid garden.  Singapore is known for its orchids.



Me sweating profusely during the 3 hour walk around the humid orchid garden.



A hip new kind of pedicure where fish eat the dead skin off your feet.  (I'm not joking.)



The next few photos are from a part of Singapore called Little India.  We had awesome Indian food there and enjoyed wandering around and looking at Hindu temples.





A gigantic Buddha at the Temple of 1,000 Lights.


Just saw this coconut tree on the side of the rode and thought I'd take a photo.


Nate in Chinatown.  Nate's comments: "We live in China.  Why do we need to go to Chinatown?"  Unfortunately, Chinatown was very touristy.