Saturday, July 31, 2010

Finley's Hobbies and Sleep (or lack thereof)

We're sitting in the airport in Newark right now, waiting for our flight to Hong Kong. We were very sad to leave all our family and friends, but the time has come. So, I thought I would update you on Finley's current hobbies while Finley takes a nap.
  • Spitting up
  • Holding his head up by himself
  • Watching ceiling fans
  • Trying to get everything in his mouth
  • Chewing on everything, including his tongue, and drooling...maybe getting ready for a tooth??
  • Rolling over-- he has rolled from front to back several times, and can now turn onto his side from his back as well
  • Playing with rattles
  • Pooping in the bouncy seat-- the bouncy seat really brings out the best in Finley (sometimes I've had to wash it multiple times in a day)
  • Lots of smiling and baby talk! (We love this hobby!)

Nate spent the last week at a work conference in Boston, and I stayed on in NC with my parents. Being without Nate made me realize how difficult it must be for single parents! My parents were a great help, but Finley had a rough week for sleep, which means I had a rough week for sleep. He turned into a little night owl this week and would take forever (hours!) to go to sleep. He also felt the need to wake up and eat every 3 or 4 hours, which was difficult after we had gotten used to him doing a longer sleep for 5-7 hours. Here's how last night went, as an example: 8:30pm Finley asleep. 9:30pm Finley awake. 10pm Finley eating. 10:15pm-12:15am I try to get Finley to sleep, only to eventually give up out of exhaustion and put him in the bouncy seat to sleep. I know, it's terrible, but I was desperate. And of course he woke up a few hours later and wanted to eat, and then the next thing I know it's 6:15am and I have to get up and shower and pack for the flight home. Here's hoping we can get him into a solid routine when we get back to HK and stop traveling for a while!