Monday, February 18, 2013

CNY: Welcome Year of the Snake!

Kung hei fat choi and welcome to the year of the snake!  We took some photos of our HK Chinese children to celebrate the holiday.  How beautiful are these kiddos?



I don't have any idea where the CNY week went!  Nate was off from work, but our helper was also off, so it was actually pretty crazy around here.  A few highlights from the week were a potluck picnic at the school's (fake grass) field with friends, a warm afternoon at the beach, a yummy Chinese dinner out with friends (and no kids!!), and a trip to the flower market in Kowloon.  Since Valentine's Day was over CNY and Nate and I had no time to get each other anything, we decided to go buy flowers together as a family and make a nice steak dinner at home to celebrate the day.  Here is what we ended up with, after my attempts at flower arranging.  The flower market is kind of far away, but the flowers there are half the price of HK Island and much fresher.

These gorgeous Gerber daisies were only $5 USD!

And how could I not take a quick snapshot of this smiling face?  I spend a lot of time smothering these cheeks with kisses.

The other huge task of this past weekend has been intensive potty training for Finley.  Nate and I are feeling really excited about the progress he's making...and we're pretty excited about decreasing our diaper budget!  But I'll tell you, it's exhausting to stay on top of all the frequent potty trips, hand washing, reminding, praising, rewarding, etc.  Whew!