Thursday, May 17, 2012

Baby Names

So we've decided to name our little lady....  Ha, yeah right!  I'm not telling you!  (Actually, we're not even sure yet, though there is a very strong contender!)  What I do know is that Social Security recently announced the top baby names of 2011, and we're purposefully trying to avoid those, just because we like to be slightly different than the masses.  Here's Social Security's 2011 Top 10 list for girls, in case you're as interested as I am:
1. Sophia
2. Isabella
3. Emma
4. Olivia
5. Ava
6. Emily
7. Abigail
8. Madison
9. Mia
10. Chloe

I like the name Sophie, but it's just too close to Sophia so I vetoed it.  And Nate likes Isabelle or Isabella, but once again, it got vetoed because it's just too darn popular.  So we've come up with a totally different option that is in no way weird, just not extremely popular.  And I'm getting pretty stinkin' excited about it!  Not sure at what point we'll decide for sure, but we do plan to keep it all top secret until the birth.  These will likely be the only clues you ever get until D-Day.  :)

So what's going on with Finley's name these days?  It's really not popular in the States (#511), but it is one of the higher ranked boy names in the UK at #35.  The name Finn is becoming a more popular boy name in the US recently at #304, though that's still also quite low on the list.

Nate and I have only met one other little boy named Finley so far, and that was a family who also goes to the lake in MI, oddly enough.  Even as educators who meet tons of kids, Nate and I have only met that one other Finley-- ever!  Let's be honest, former students and their demeanors do factor into the baby naming process because of the associations with which we are left.  That makes baby naming even more complicated, and is another reason we avoid the Top 10.

19 weeks tomorrow...almost half-way there!!