Sunday, May 6, 2012

This Busy Week

This week has been exhausting.  I'm trying to finish up all my final projects and papers for the 3 (yes, 3!) classes I've been taking this semester, the last of which is due in a couple of days.  I'm so close, but my brain is so fried!  After this last project I'm working on, I will only have one more class to take to get my masters.  That one will go from next week until mid-August, so I'll be completely finished before our baby girl makes her entrance into the world.

Nate hasn't exactly had much free time on his hands this week either, but at least he didn't have to work on Saturday!  It's seemed like he has had a lot of Saturday working to do this spring, and I'll be honest that it doesn't exactly thrill me, particularly since he doesn't even get paid extra to do it.  But I guess that's the life of a salaried administrator.

Meanwhile, Finley and the "terrible two's" have collided in full force!  And wow, it was right on schedule.  It's been wild around here with all the tantrums, screaming, crying, and indecisiveness.  Let me just give you an example of a typical conversation:
Me: Finley, would you like to play inside more or go outside?
Finley: Go outside.
Me: Okay, let's get your shoes.
Finley: No outside!  No shoes!
Me: Okay, then we can keep playing inside with your Legos.
Finley: No inside! No Legos!
And so it goes on.  Ah, 2-year-old life.  Luckily, he also does a million adorable and amazing things everyday.  A couple of my favorite words he is saying at the moment are basketball ("basket-da-da-ball") and Granddad ("Beandaddy").  He is also really interested in counting and the alphabet at the moment.  He can count to 10 pretty well, and knows quite a bit of the Alphabet Song.  One particularly hilarious Finley anecdote from this week was when we were on a bus in Stanley, waiting for the driver to close the door and go.  Finley shouts out to the driver so everyone could hear, "Pungyao, close the door!"  (Pungyao means friend in Cantonese.)

As for the baby, she's moving around everyday, which is a delight (and quite reassuring).  A lot of people have asked if this pregnancy is different, particularly because of the gender.  I don't know if gender really effects pregnancy symptoms, but it has been different.  With Finley, I was so nauseous and exhausted non-stop for a couple of months, but then it was gone around 14 weeks.  This time, I was slightly less exhausted and nauseous, but it still won't totally go away even at 17 weeks.  With Finley I craved mangos, oranges, and grape juice, but this time it's been apples, toast with butter, cheese and crackers, and fruit-flavored desserts (like banoffee pie or raspberry gelato).  I've definitely been sleeping much worse since the beginning of this pregnancy, but my back hasn't hurt quite as much as it did at this point with Finley.  I think I'm losing my waist faster this time, which is a common belief about having girls.  I'm very interested to see if my belly ends up looking different once I get big, because last time it was the stereotypical boy basketball belly.  So the question is, did it look like that because that's how I carry babies, or because it was a boy?  We'll find out soon!  

I'll leave you with a little picture of Finley sleeping during nap.  He still sleeps like when he was a baby.  It's terribly cute.