Friday, July 25, 2008

We Made It!

We made it! It is 6:56am Friday morning HK time, apparently only 12 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time. Amanda sleeps like a queen in our king size bed at the Excelsior hotel stirring every few minutes. I have been awake since 5:30am anxious to begin setting up life here in HK. Today we meet with Rehana, the school’s relocation specialist. She will help us to establish a bank account, secure a phone, HK ID card, car insurance, and everything else essential to life here.

I couldn’t resist taking a morning walk about anxious to familiarize myself with the new surroundings. The Excelsior is located in Causeway Bay on Hong Kong Island. With views of all the skyscrapers dominating the HK skyline to the south and east and only 6 lanes of highway separate the hotel from Victoria’s harbor to the north. Views of rolling green mountains line the coast with random 50 floor apartment buildings sprinkling the horizon. The city gives off a peaceful vibe with most of its residents still sleeping. Hong Kong is a notoriously late night culture with 66% of its population not going to bed before midnight (quote thanks to our travel book).

Occasional red and white taxis pull through the hotel. Tens of small green buses decorated with advertisements for Hong Kong Disneyland or various attractions labeled with Cantonese characters I can’t read line the streets prepared for the morning rush hour. I am not sure when exactly the rush hour begins considering most people don’t roll into work before 9am.

It is a crystal clear day over the harbor and into the horizon with few clouds lingering up the mountain behind the hotel and through the skyscrapers waiting to burn off with the coming heat. The temperature is a sticky 75-80 degrees in my best estimate. I am curious as to how warm it will get today. We were told on the way over that it reaches about 40-45 degrees Celsius but we are rusty on our conversion to Fahrenheit so we will get back to you on that one.

I haven’t sensed the rumored pollution issues yet. Of course there is the smell of city, a potpourri of car exhaust, the aroma of local cuisine, and brief whafs of the sea. Not trouble breathing outside of the humidity issue. I can only hope that it just gets better from here the more we move towards the south of the island where our new apartment is located.

I didn’t venture to far from the hotel, not interested in getting lost my first day. Most streets appear well organized looking at the map but once you start venturing into Causeway bay they quickly twist and turn. I can see my neck getting tired in this city because there is as much if not more to see looking up as there is straight ahead. Neon advertisements and scaffolding create a canopy over each street. Most signs are printed in Cantonese and English with the exception of the local restaurants. Of course on every block there are signs of westernization. There are 7 Elevens, McDonalds, KFC’s interspersed amongst the countless malls and clothing or home furnishings stores. Causeway Bay has shopping that can compete with anywhere in the world.

I returned to the hotel after about 20 minutes of exploring wanting to wait to share these experiences with Amanda.

Will write more later. Love to everyone. We miss you already.