Let's start with an update on Finley. Finley had a very exciting morning yesterday. He got to start going to "school"! We're sending him to a little preschool/structured playgroup three mornings a week from 8:30-11am, which I think will be great for Finley, the baby (soon), and me!
Even just over the summer, Finley has really grown up seemed ready for this next step...but that doesn't mean that I thought it would be a seamless transition; I figured he would have a difficult time separating from me at first. I stayed the first 15 minutes of class, and Finley was good with that, but when I tried to leave he became very upset. I gave him a couple of hugs, explained that I would be back in a little while to get him, and left silently praying it wouldn't be too traumatic for him, especially given my recent hospital stay that he's still trying to get over. I kept my phone closely by me, but the teacher didn't call and Finley made it through his first morning of school! She did say he had some good crying going on for a bit, but she was able to distract him after a while with water play and things went well after that. Yay! He was perfectly happy when I got there to pick him up!
To celebrate Finley's new stage, we took a brief outing to buy him a little backpack to carry his diapers and change of clothes in when he goes to school. Finley picked out a Thomas the Train backpack, despite not knowing who Thomas is, and it is terribly cute. He loved it so much he wanted to wear it the rest of the evening! We hope this will help him be excited to go to school. We go back again on Friday morning, and I'm sure there will probably be more tears then, but I hope they'll be even fewer than yesterday.
To backtrack a little and give a me+baby update, I was released from the hospital midday on Monday, armed with antibiotics and more of that really not fun medicine to calm contractions in case I start having lots again. While very happy to leave, I was also very disappointed to hear the doctor say those dreaded words: "bed rest". Ugh. I mean, I understand that is standard protocol for situations like this, but I was still very disappointed. I have wanted so much to have a "normal" pregnancy and enjoy the rest of this time with Finley before #2 comes along and rocks his world.
Though I'm supposed to be on bed rest, I think it's going to be more of a modified than strict bed rest, unlike earlier in the pregnancy (when I was literally not allowed to do anything but lay flat the entire day and night and get up only to go to the bathroom). This time is more staying off my feet and not physically exerting myself. I think I'll still be able to do a little bit, as long as I keep the contractions under check.
I have to say, though, Finley isn't making it easy on me. Since I've been in the hospital, his sleeping has gotten quite messed up and the tantrums are in overdrive. It's all been a bit too much for him to handle on top of adjusting to all the other changes going on. I'm pretty sure that the doctor didn't want me to be wrestling a hysterical 31 pound toddler when she said "bed rest", but it's kind of something I have to do right now. The good news is that the doctor said once I get to 36 weeks, anything goes. So I'm already planning a trip to gym for myself and lots of fun super active things with Finley that day! 36 weeks is Sept. 14, for those of you who are counting down the days like me!
So what's in store for the future? The frustrating part is that we have no idea, because we have no idea what caused this whole ordeal. It could have been some sort of uterine irritation/infection that once settled won't cause any more problems. In that case, I could carry this baby full term or even overdue! Alternatively, it could be some other sort of issue that may resurface, causing me to have the baby early. Guess we'll all just be waiting around to see...
Though I'm supposed to be on bed rest, I think it's going to be more of a modified than strict bed rest, unlike earlier in the pregnancy (when I was literally not allowed to do anything but lay flat the entire day and night and get up only to go to the bathroom). This time is more staying off my feet and not physically exerting myself. I think I'll still be able to do a little bit, as long as I keep the contractions under check.
I have to say, though, Finley isn't making it easy on me. Since I've been in the hospital, his sleeping has gotten quite messed up and the tantrums are in overdrive. It's all been a bit too much for him to handle on top of adjusting to all the other changes going on. I'm pretty sure that the doctor didn't want me to be wrestling a hysterical 31 pound toddler when she said "bed rest", but it's kind of something I have to do right now. The good news is that the doctor said once I get to 36 weeks, anything goes. So I'm already planning a trip to gym for myself and lots of fun super active things with Finley that day! 36 weeks is Sept. 14, for those of you who are counting down the days like me!
So what's in store for the future? The frustrating part is that we have no idea, because we have no idea what caused this whole ordeal. It could have been some sort of uterine irritation/infection that once settled won't cause any more problems. In that case, I could carry this baby full term or even overdue! Alternatively, it could be some other sort of issue that may resurface, causing me to have the baby early. Guess we'll all just be waiting around to see...


