Friday, August 31, 2012

Finley's Baby and New Room

Finley has had yet another exciting week of changes!  This past weekend we gave him his very own baby doll to help him get ready for his new baby sister.  He was actually pretty excited about the baby doll and wanted to do everything with her that first night.  He plays with her a bit more intermittently now, but always insists on brushing her teeth every night before bed (no, she doesn't actually have teeth).  We're hoping Finley can help take care of his baby when we're taking care of the real baby, so we can change diapers together, feed the babies together, etc. 

Click here for a video of Finley with his baby doll.  So sweet!  I especially love the end of the video, when he wanted to play a song for the baby and rock her to sleep.




Finley also moved into his new room and real bed this week.  Let's just say we're all really tired at this point.  It isn't going over quite as well as the new baby doll did.  It's not that Finley hates his room or bed, it's just that he now feels the need to get up and come into our room every single time he wakes up at night and at nap time.  Then he has to be put back in the bed (which he refuses at first) and one of us has to sit with him until he goes back to sleep.  Last night he was up 4 or 5 times!  If this doesn't improve soon, we're going to have to try buying a baby gate to put in the doorway so he can't escape.  Problem is that I feel confident that would cause a ton of middle-of-the-night tantrums and even less sleep for us all, at least at first.  And let me just point out that all this fun isn't limited to nighttime.  No, we're enjoying even more tantrums during the day than normal, thanks to Finley's lack of good sleep.  Just hoping this difficult time will pass soon, so we're not dealing with constant waking of two children all night!  And so we're not all completely sleep deprived before the baby even gets here!

In all fairness to Finley, I will also share the good news that he is doing much better with his transition to "school".  This morning when I took him, he didn't cry for the first time!  He gave me a hug and didn't want to let go, but I was able to hand him off into the arms of his teacher without a melt down!  Big improvement!  After I closed the door and left, I heard him asking his teacher, "Mommy come get you?" but no crying, at least not while I was within earshot.  Yay!

34 weeks pregnant today!  Will eventually get around to taking a belly photo since I haven't in 6 weeks!