Monday, August 6, 2012

What's Going On?

So here's a post to catch everyone up on what's going on in our lives these days.  We've been back in HK for a little less than a week, but already so much is happening!

Finley did awesome on the flights (no tantrums!!), but my body wasn't loving flying at 29 weeks pregnant and I was very grateful to eventually get off the airplane, lie down, and give my mid-section a rest!  I was so uncomfortable and somewhat swollen, even despite my attractive black knee-high compression socks.  Mind you, I usually don't have any issues with swelling, but that's what an entire day and night of flying in your 3rd trimester will do to you!  Since getting back, there have been lots of days of waking up at 3 or 4am and very frequent Finley tantrums thanks to the jet lag, but we're now almost back into our sleeping routines and Finley's mood is getting back to normal.  Give us a few more days and I think we'll be good to go again!

An unfortunate result of Finley's jet lag and resulting insane tantrums was him discovering that he could jump out of the crib.  Problem is, he is not a cat and doesn't land gracefully on his feet.  I put him in time out in his crib one day, and 30 seconds later I heard a loud THUD and Finley's screaming/crying tantrum switched to frightened crying.  He was in a heap on the floor, and I was just grateful he didn't break any limbs!  Geez!  We were planning to move Finley to a real bed very soon anyway, but we haven't actually bought the bed yet and therefore will have to be extremely vigilant until then.  I'm honestly hoping that it scared him enough that he won't do it again, plus I had the very serious, "Never, never do that again," talk with him, but who knows.  I haven't figured out a new plan for timeout.  I guess we'll have to try making him sit on a "time out rug" again, because I'm afraid he might throw a "time out chair".

We had to let our previous helper go before we left for the States, and our new helper Cathrina (pronounced "Katrina") just started with us a couple of days ago.  So far so good, but it is stressful to train and adjust to a new helper (a total stranger, albeit a friendly one, living in your small apartment with you!).  In the beginning, it's quite time consuming trying to show her exactly how we would like everything done and how everything works, but it should be worth it soon.  Finley really seems to like her, but he's not quite ready to be left alone with her just yet.  We're praying she'll be a great match for our family and that she'll be especially awesome and trustworthy with the kiddos.  (Did I really just say kiddos, plural??  Crazy, right?)

On Saturday we're moving into our new apartment!  We're excited, but a little nervous about where we're going to put our stuff.  Our current place has very little storage, but it does have a little space where we can put a few bigger items like suitcases and such.  The new place does not have that, so we'll have to get creative.  But the new place does have a private roof top!  Nate and I are going to buy a grill as our anniversary gift to each other now that we'll have a place to put it.  (Happy 6 years, Nate!  Look forward to celebrating more with you once we can leave Finley alone with the helper and once we're all over jet lag!)

In case you were wondering how Baby Girl Dennison is doing (because I was!), we went for a doctor visit today and she's looking great and her head is down.  Let's hope it stays there!  I'm feeling pretty big considering that I have 2 more months to go, and my back hurts some kinda bad every night and sometimes in the day, but overall I'm okay.  I'm just grateful that I'm currently having a "normal" pregnancy and that the baby appears healthy.  Based on her measurements today, Grace estimated that she weighs about 3 lbs 5 oz already!  I had a blood test today to check my iron and Vitamin D levels, and I'll go back again in 2 1/2 weeks for a growth scan.  Nate and I are settled on a name, and we bought some bedding and a few tiny, cute little baby clothes to get us started.  9 1/2 weeks until the due date-- we're in the single digits!  Things are getting exciting!

Oh, and I got my grades back and found out today that I'm officially finished with my masters!  Woohoo!  It's a little anticlimactic since I'm not in Michigan to do the whole cap and gown deal, but I'm still trying to be excited anyway.  I'm grateful to have found an online program that was actually good (some aren't!) and offered the flexibility I needed as an overseas mom of a baby-turned-toddler.  It worked out really well!

If you're still reading, thanks for sticking with such a long, photo-less post!  I promise there will be more photos and videos coming soon!